Information About the Main Arena
- The roof supports a theatrical grid system capable of supporting up to 100,000 pounds of equipment.
- Three levels of seating surround the main arena floor which is 14.5 feet below ground level to take advantage of the constant temperature of the earth.
- The O’Connell Center’s flexibility is enhanced by the many pieces of equipment, which can be moved and retracted. The basketball goals, the stage, and the drop-in basketball and volleyball floors are examples of this unique flexibility, in addition to the retractable bleacher seating,the basketball goals, the stage, and the drop-in basketball and volleyball floors are examples of this unique flexibility.
With all of the seating in use, the O’Connell Center main arena can accommodate almost 12,000 spectators. In addition, we also can seat people in folding chairs on the main arena floor during concerts or banquets.
Full House: 9,300
Half House: 6,300
In the Round: 12,000
Half House (standard set): 3,000-4,000
Full House: 7,000-8,000
Men’s Basketball: 11,697
Women’s Basketball: 11,409
Up to 2,800
Level 1: 114 (8 ft X 10 ft booths)
Level 2: 166 (8 ft X 10 ft booths)
Total Exhibition Booths: 280
Total Exhibition Space:
Level 1: 20,400 sq. ft.
Level 2: 30,000 sq. ft.
TOTAL– 50,400 sq. ft.
Entire Building: 296,000 sq. ft.
Level 1 (bleachers in) — 120 feet x 174 feet
Level 1 (bleachers out)–116 feet x 61 feet
Level 2 (seats in) — Between Gate 1 & Gate 2: 160 feet x 40 feet
Level 2 (seats in) — Between Gate 2 & Gate 3: 95 feet x 50 feet
Level 2 (seats in) — Between Gate 3 & Gate 4: 160 feet x 50 feet
Level 2 (seats in) — Between Gate 1 & Gate 4: 95 feet x 50 feet
Floor to grid: 78 feet
Floor to roof: 118 feet
Floor to Level 2: 16 feet
Level 2 to Level 3: 20 feet
- The practice court is located on Level 2 between Gates 3 & 4.
- The main users of the court are the men’s and women’s basketball team, the women’s volleyball team, and the Dazzlers dance team. It is also rented out for smaller banquets and functions.
- Netting, to prevent the equipment from damaging the plants in the gardens, and privacy curtains have been installed.
- The gymnastics studio is located on Level 2 between Gates 1 & 4.
- The studio is used by the Gator Gymnastics team.
- The Dance Studio is located on Level 2 between Gates 1 & 2.
- The Studio is used by classes and by Floridance, the UF dance company.
- It features a wooden floor covered with special non-skid Marlee mats, a complete wall of mirrors and bars, and privacy curtains.
- The best place to view this area is from the middle landing on the steps going from level two to level three.
Orange and Blue Room
- The Orange and Blue Room is located adjacent to the Loading Dock at Gate 4, Level 1.
- Classes and clubs use this room daily for not only the various martial arts, but also for fencing, aerobics, dance, and yoga. In addition, it is used for banquets, press conferences, and backstage parties.
- The room is approximately 4,177 square feet, and the floor is made of a synthetic rubber compound called Chem-Turf.
Our 50-meter Olympic-sized pool is one of the fastest in the world. The 648,000-gallon pool can be used as two 25-yard courses with a warm-up area in the middle, two 25-meter courses without a warm-up area, or a full 50-meter course, all by moving the two sliding bulkheads to the desired position.
The pool bottom slopes rapidly from five to eighteen feet, which greatly reduces the rebound of waves from the bottom. The extensive gutter system is designed to absorb any water that slaps against the pool’s sides so that there are no waves from which to rebound.
The retractable bleachers can seat 1,200 for swim meets.
There are men’s and women’s locker rooms located just off the pool deck. They can also be accessed from the hallway on level one.
The pool has two one-meter and two three-meter diving boards. There are also two diving platforms; one is five meters and the other is ten. For the use of photographers and judges during diving competitions, there is an underwater viewing room.
|Room||Size||Capacity||Mirrors||Number of Toilets||Number of Showers||Phone Hookups||Additional Notes|
Room # 1217
Room # 1218
Room # 1219
Room # 1220
|Large||40||Yes||5||16||Yes||Adjoins Room # 1116|
|Visiting Team Locker 1
|10||No||Adjoins Room # 1128|
|Visiting Team Locker 2
|Orange and Blue Room||Very Large||300-450||Yes||0||0||Yes||Can be divided with on-site
|Practice Court||Very Large||500||No||0||0||No||Located on Level 2;
Available on a limited basis
|Dance Studio||Very Large||300||Yes||0||0||No||Located on Level 2;
Available on a limited basis
Note: There are other areas in the building and on site that may be utilized for various purposes.
The decision to use these spaces will be made on a per event basis.
View the 2016-17 Rate Card in Adobe Acrobat format »
Acrobat is available here for free if you do not currently have it installed.
Due to heightened security levels, detailed venue information has been removed from our website.
If you require copies of these detailed venue information for legitimate purposes please email our Assistant Director of Production, Kevin Burgess, at email@example.com.
In the text of the message, please note the reason for your request.